View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 02:55pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by wilko
Thanks Jay R.

Quote:
A player lifts his pivot foot before releasing the ball in the backcourt with no defensive pressure, I am going to ignore that violation. The same action occurs when the dribbler is going around the defender to score, I am calling the travel.
Why would one ignore a violation?
Is that common to all levels of play and is that what Int'l leagues do too? I dont mean to sound rude, but as a rabid fan whooped up into a frenzy wanting every possible break for my favorite squad, if I can spot that, then surely a ref must. If you could back away from being an offical for a sec and look at the avg fan's position... Why is a violation not a violation when seen?

Because we don't give a darn who wins the game. Many times fans will "think" they see a violation when none exists -- the fan sees palming whereas the official notes that the ball didn't come to rest in the hand of the dribbler, for example. Other favorites include the "high dribble" when the ball gets away or when players scramble after a loose ball and one retrieves the ball while sliding on the floor.

--Rich