View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 02:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wilko
Why would one ignore a violation?
Is that common to all levels of play and is that what Int'l leagues do too? I dont mean to sound rude, but as a rabid fan whooped up into a frenzy wanting every possible break for my favorite squad, if I can spot that, then surely a ref must. If you could back away from being an offical for a sec and look at the avg fan's position... Why is a violation not a violation when seen?
Maybe the official did not see it as a violation? As officials we study the rulebook and officiate many more games than the average fan watches. We also know the game and understand what kind of things are accepted or not accepted in the game. It is a little more complicated than that, but my point is officials are consumed with the game, not just a team.

Quote:
Originally posted by wilko
Yeah, I guess it would be a foul... but the underlying question I didnt state very well.. Is when is being physical, TOO physical ... and forces a new consideration into whats allowable contact vs: possibly diffusing and controlling a situation may get out of hand.
If the contact puts someone at a disadvantage and someone gains an advantage as a result of the contact. It is that simple. Now that judgment will vary from one official to another or the talent that is on the floor. But contact is allowed in the game of basketball and the contact can be quite severe. That is not just me talking, this is the rulebook talking. The rulebook deals with incidental contact and when contact is a foul. It is up to each official to make that decision based on what they see.

Peace