Thread: 2 shots or 1
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 22, 2004, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Mark has asked for my help twice now on this question. I was waiting to answer b/c I was hoping somebody else would jump in with an authoritative answer. I've emailed a D1 official I know well (who is also VERY good with rules), but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

The problem is that I see logic on both sides of this question.

The easier solution is to wave off the basket and award two shots. The ball was clearly in the shooter's hand when the shot clock horn sounded, so there can be no try.

But the question really is: should the shot clock have sounded?

If the timer (or the Precision Time system) had stopped the clock when the whistle sounded, the shot clock would not have expired and we would obviously allow A1 to complete the throwing motion.

We've seen NCAA officials in big games go to the monitor at the end of a period to determine when the clock should have stopped on a whistle, and then they put that time back on the clock. And I'm wondering if we use that logic here. Do we allow the basket b/c the clock should have stopped prior to the sounding of the shot clock horn? Is this comparable to correcting an obvious timing mistake? (There's no "lag time" interp in NCAA, remember.)

The honest answer is that I just don't know. I want to say count the basket and give one shot, but I don't know if that's supported by rule. I'll post again when I get the answer from my buddy.

In the meantime, maybe some of the other college guys and gals -- Bob, Brad, rocky, Dan, Barb, devdog, I'm sure I've left some out -- can weigh in and give an informed opinion.
Chuck, my instinct tells me if it was this close I would probably wave off the basket if the shot clock buzzer came before the ball was released and award 2 shots.

I'm not sure I'm right by rule but I'm sure I could make it work.

Time to make a few phone calls.