View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 19, 2004, 02:45pm
In Memoriam

Re: what rule???

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Taking the rules literally, this would be a violation. However, like so many other rules, it's not called literally. In practice, hitting the rim is sufficient.
what rule would you take literally to mean that this would be a violation....not only would I never call this a violation, I don't see anything that even remotely supports it...
Camron may be referring to the strict definition of a "try" in R4-40-2- "A try for field goal is an attempt by a player to score one or two points by throwing the ball into a team's own basket. A player is trying for goal when the player has the ball and in the official's judgement is throwing or attempting to throw for goal". R9-1-3 says the FT shooter has to "throw" within 10 seconds and cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the FT ends. By the strictest definition, you could probably say that throwing the ball against the ring to try and get a rebound doesn't meet the definition of a "try" in that you are not attempting to score, and therefore you violated R9-1-3. It is a helluva reach but.......

I don't think that even the most anal official around would ever actually use that logic though. Hopefully.

I'm just guessing. Naturally, Camron may have different thoughts.