View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

I had a similiar incident several years ago with a religious head covering. I told the coach that unless I had something in writing from the state association the player could not play. The coach did not like it, but that is the rule.

This is something that coaches need to address prior to starting the season.

After the game I contacted the association just to make sure I had done the right thing and they said I had.

I also looked at it as a possible safety hazzard. What if I had allowed it and then some freak accident happened?

As officials we need to be very careful about possible litgation because of decisions we make. If we do not follow the rule book, especially in regards to equipment and apparel we are setting ourselves up for possible legal issues.

As an example, at the school I teach at the padding has been torn off the bottom and one side of the backboard. It has not been repaired with the first game of the season a week away. If I were to walk in, as one of the officials for that game, and see that, we are not playing.

Something else I check very carefully before any game are the metal coverings for the volleyball pole holes. In many facilities that are not kept up you will find loose coverings. I make sure the A.D. secures them properly prior to playing.