View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Since the other thread has gone off is a couple of different directions, I was wondering if there was more to say about the statement in the ASA POE 33-E,
Quote:
A pitcher fielding a ball in the circle is just another fielder and runners can leave their base.
since that notion is the point of hesitation (ironic, huh?) at changing the LBR again to remove the trigger on the BR reaching 1st.

I note that the POE does not say anything about batted ball or about how F1 came to be fielding the ball. So, I guess, the throw could come from anywhere.

Common sense would say that the routine throw back from F2 would not make F1 "just another fielder."

Common sense would also say that on a throw from anywhere else or on a batted ball F1 stops being "just another fielder" when she stops acting like one and resumes acting like a pitcher with control & not making a play.

I guess I am a bit mystified about how this becomes an issue that needs to be addressed. The judgment as to when F1 transitions from fielder to pitcher (for purposes of the LBR) does not seem that hard to me.

What am I missing?