Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by BushRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
I did have a few words for my partner after the game. I phrased them with, "lets break the play down" and then we discussed.

I agree whole heartedly that a T was not warranted.

Now lets add a wrinkle (actually happened). When white batted the ball towards blue, the ball rolled 12 feet back to the wall because blue wouldn't take the ball. I believe that White would have left the ball alone had my partner been counting, but after they caused it to roll to the wall, could he have given a delay warning? If he does, the clock stops and Blue has to inbound giving White an unmerited advantage. Could he have T'd white for delay, thus negating the benefit caused by just giving a warning?

Sam--

THis is the additional info posted by the original poster that I am referring to. White had no reason to touch the ball in this situation. As innocent as it may have looked, they sent the ball to the wall. I guess the other thing you can do in this situation, and I'll probably get called out for this too, but you don't start your count til the ball is "at the disposal." Since white sent the ball 12 feet to the wall, I'm giving blue a reasonable opportunity to get the ball before I begin my count. If that means my count doesn't start for 3 seconds, so now we have 4 on the clock, the game quite possibly ends before a throw in is even required. I guess what I'm saying is, there's no way I'm stopping the clock to help white in this situation, unless it's with a T as I believe is allowed by the case book comment.
The ball was ALREADY at B's disposal BEFORE A contacted it, and the 5 second count SHOULD have already started.

The rules provide for the throw in to begin if the throwing team CAN pick up the ball and throw it in, but are delaying.

The official should have started a count on B, the touching by A at that point would be a delay, but I don't think it falls under the 9.2.11 play, because A's intent was not to cause a stoppage for a delay warning.
I'm fine with this, and in this case, I just keep counting til I get to 5 or until the ball is released on the throw in. But under no circumstance am I going to stop the clock and give that benefit of a stopped clock to the team defending the throw in.
That's what I said in my first post. The only one doing the wrong thing in this play was the official that called the T on the throwing team.

You have B rightfully delaying to run the clock, you have A attempting to get the ball to B, but they are not hitting it into a corner or breaking the plane to purposely delay.

You have two teams playing heads up ball.

We have a rule that supports starting the count.

We have rule support for calling a delay and a non-warned T for delay.

What seems the fairest based on game situation and the intent of the players is to start the count, have some time come off and warn, but not T, A for delay and get it done.