View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 18, 2004, 03:07pm

No one I am talking to was a baseball umpire.

Exaggeration #1: We have multiple basketball officials that also work baseball. I know of at least three moderators...should I go on?
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •

Baseball is a totally different animal. In baseball you can wear a uniform that is not the same as your partners and that is still considered professional. In football if one official wears long sleeves, we all wear long sleeves. In basketball if one person wears a jacket in pregame warm-ups, we all wear jackets in pregame warm-up.

Exaggeration #2: Are you speaking for every state and every level? I didn’t know that you were versed in all of the pertinent uniform codes. Do the white coats use the same standards?
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •
In both football and basketball the things that are acceptable are not the same as baseball. The very reason you do not see any football officials wear sun glasses while working a game. It is not considered professional attire.

Exaggeration #3: I saw a Public Game the other day (yes, it was varsity day game) and two of the officials were sporting Oakleys. I guess that they were more concerned with being able to see the play than complying with your preconception. Also, I travel all over the country and have seen officials in Texas, Florida and Arizona wearing eye protection.
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••••••••••••••••••••

I know Windy you seem to think everyone thinks or cares about baseball, but you cannot name one white official in football or baseball at the levels I just mentioned that has any facial hair.

Oh, Oh Rut, Windy Got you!: Let’s see, when I had lunch with Tim Tschida last winter, I could have sworn he had a moustache. Maybe he was just eating really hairy soup!
••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• ••••••••••••••••••••••••• •••••••••••••••••••••••••

Rich Wiley a former D1 Football and Basketball official from Chicago (former member of one of my current associations) made this statement, "Only Black guys can wear facial hair." Mr. Wiley is the only official to work a Final Four and a Rose Bowl in his career. Now I know he was not talking about baseball or gave a damn about it in his comments. You are right, there are many white umpires that wear facial hair, but I did not make the statement on the baseball board. I know this, I was told to remove my goatee for basketball. I have never been told to do anything with my facial hair in baseball.

If you shaved because an assignor told you to, then you are dumber than we thought. I didn’t know that the Constitution was abolished. Secondly read this line from your quote again...

“Name one white official that has facial hair at the D1 or pro levels of any league?”

Are you telling me that we should have known that you meant that this doesn’t include baseball? “pro levels of any league” sounds like you were including it to me. Stop trying to spin and twist your lies, it is getting ridiculous!