View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I enjoy working Adult Rec leagues. Admittedly, for the money first but also because that the level of play can be quite competitive. I do not compromise when it comes to the enforcement of the rules and believe that the game management is easier to maintain because of this.

I don't buy into the the notion that one needs to be "thick-skinned" to be a respected official in Rec leagues. I understand that players in these leagues tend to blow off steam in various ways including running their mouths at officials. I do not tolerate this any different that I would a typical HS game.

When the "thick-skinned" mentality is invoked, it is not uncommon to see things get heated up to the level of fisticuffs when that type of official does NOT enforce the rules correctly and consistently.

I have had great success in manageing adult games in spite of the occaisonal terrible partner. More often than not, a good official will rub off onto a poor official and the crew will be better as a result. I welcome the opportunity to "chat" with marginal partners in an effort to help them improve.

Even if the marginal partner is the assignor for the gym, good communication is a great elixir. It may not be a cure-all for the thick skin thinking but at least your partner (assignor) will know your philosophies and principles about how you view your officiating duties. My guess is that he will either respect you for that communication or not invite you back in the future.

I want to encourage you to not get a bad taste in your mouth for Adult Rec because of this experience. Be professional and have fun as much as possible but don't get caught up in all the negative stuff. As an official YOU have a chance to improve the quality of the league simply by being a good official....regardless if that is even a goal of yours going in.

If all else fails and you still want to work that gym, survey the other crew members and ask to limit your schedule to those officials.