View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit,
Personally I like the new rule. But I agree with you 100% that it is misapplied alot. I also agree that it is not that difficult to view this change. The way I look at it is 1) did the runner do something (slow down, slide, alter path etc) as a result of the fielders actions? 2) Did the fielder have the ball when their action resulted in the runner doing something?

If the answers are 1)Yes, 2) No then I have OBS, if any other combination then no OBS!

Like I said this rule is misapplied often, one example I have already given you, runner rounds 3rd, catcher infront of plate, runner still proceeding full speed, no reaction at all, BU declares OBS as fielder is in basepath! WTF? From what I saw (game off as umpire at tournament) there was no OBS, and BU told me later that it was OBS "cause she was in the way." He never took the reaction, or lack there of, into account when he inforced OBS.
It's like all the other rules there just has to be a widely accepted interpretation, and backed up by case plays that spell out situations and the accepted result of these situations to get everyone on the same page!