Thread: Plate shoes
View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 14, 2004, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

BlueBob,

Don't let Peter/HHH get you down. I think he forgets, or never learned, that most LL umpires come from the coaching ranks, where dropping several hundred dollars per season on their team is the norm. For most of us it's a hobby. And far as hobbies go umpiring is fairly cheap. My last hobby was bicycle road racing, where bikes were $3K, entry fees were $50, and abuse.... Let's just say umpires who feel they are abused are weenies. If having some idiot Dad or coach yell at you is your definition of abuse y'all need to grow a pair.

As far as the instep protector, I tried to find the very things several years ago when I started out. Honigs had them in their catalog, but when I called they were out, with no more coming. As I recall SSK made them, it that's any help. I've seen throat protectors laced up to steel toes shoes. Not pretty, but effective.

Oh, and love the line about equipment that produces no income. I'll bet HHH has a set of golf clubs in his garage. I wonder how much income he derives from those?