View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 12, 2004, 04:04pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Everyone agrees that once the ball is at the disposal of team A, team B can not be granted a time out. I don' think their is any disagreement there.

Everyone agrees that the ball may be considered to be at teams A's disposal when it is still inbounds or whether A has picked up the ball or not.

The difference is that I, and others, assert that it is not absolute that it be at their disposal just bacause they pick it up. NONE of the posted cases or rules support that.

Again, if you consider it at their disposal, you have a count in progress. If you're not counting, you have indirectly decided it is not at their disposal and team B can have the time out.

I restate my earlier point....

If team A picks up the ball 2' from the endline, you consider it at their disposal? OK. Are you counting? If not, it's not at their disposal.

Team A picks up the ball 20' from the endline...you going to start you count at that moment...even though it takes 2-3 seconds for A to get to the endline leaving them only 2 seconds to complete the throwin???

Disposal = ball available to team A such that they could make a legal throwin at that point or had enough time to get into a position to make a legal throwin.

Camron:

For BZ's sake you had better clarify your first point above, I think that you and I would both agree that when A1 picks up the ball two feet from the endline, the official should wait to see if A1 is just going to stand there and waste time or does he immediately move to take the ball out-of-bounds to attempt a throw-in. If it is the former, then the ball can be considered at the disposal of Team A for a throw-in, the ball is now live, and a five second count can be started, meaning that if Team B now makes a request for a timeout it will not be granted. But if it is the latter, then the ball does not become at the disposal of Team A for a throw-in, the ball does not become live, and the five second count should not start until A1 is out-of-bounds and no part of him is touching inbounds; until this happens if Team B makes a request for a timeout, it should be granted.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio