View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:54pm
Administrator

BZ:

You keep missing the point that Cameron, Bob, and I are making. The location of B1, when he has possession of the ball, is important when deteriming when the ball the ball is at the disposal of Team B for a throw-in. You are confusing two types of plays: #1) The ball is available for B1 to pick up and take it out-of-bounds, so as to start a throw-in, or B1 does pick up the ball but makes no effort to take the ball out-of-bounds immediately so as to start a throw-in; and #2) B1 does pick up the ball immediately and immediately starts to take the ball out-of-bounds so as to start a throw-in.

In Play #2, it does not matter where the location of the ball is, as long as a player from B makes every effort to secure the ball as soon as possible after Team A scores, and once a player secures the ball, makes every effort to take the ball out-of-bounds as soon as possible so as to start its throw-in, then the ball is not at the disposal of Team B for a throw-in until B1 is out-of-bounds and no part is his body is touching inbounds. And that is when the official shall start his five seconds count for the throw-in.

You must also remember that the definition of a throw-in is: A method of putting the ball in play from OUT-OF-BOUNDS.

The reason there are casebook plays involving situations like Play #1 above are to show how situations where Team B's actions are to be construed as delaying in making a dead ball become a live ball. In Play #2, Team B is not guilty of delaying in making a dead ball become a live ball.

Right now I do not feel like climbing up Mt. Attic to go through 34 years of casebooks, but I can assure you that what Bob Jenkins and Cameron Rust have been telling you is the correct way to start a five second throw-in count. Why? Because Team B cannot start a throw-in until B1 is out-of-bounds and in possession of the ball, then and only then, with the exceptions of Play #1, does the status of the ball go from dead to live and the ball is now at the disposal of Team B for a throw-in. In 34 years of officiating high school and college basketball I have never (forgive me J. Dallas Shirley for using the word never) seen an official start his five second count in Play #2 until B1 is out-of-bounds with the ball, nor have I ever heard an official advocate such a position as yours because to do so would mean that the official did not have a thorough knowledge of the applicable rules and an understanding of the how and why of the rules concerned.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio