View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

This hinges on "available". If the player is or could be in a a position to to actually make a throw-in, then it is available.

If, as you say, it is available and at their disposal when the team picks up the ball, I suggest you consider the following variations:

Ball drops through the net B1 picks it up right there, available you say? You start the count and disallow a TO by A?

Now ball drops throuh the net and it rolls to the FT line where B picks it up. At disposal, available? You start the count and disallow a TO by A? I'd hope not.

Now ball drops throuh the net and it rolls to the division line where B picks it up. At disposal, available? You start the count and disallow a TO by A? I'd REALLY hope not.

The rules do say that the count begins when the throw-in begins. The rules do say the throw-in begins when it is at the teams disposal. If you consider it at their disposal when they pick up the ball, you should be counting when the player that retreived the ball from the division line is jogging towards the endline to execute the throw-in.

B1 must be in a location (or had enough time to get there) where he can make a legal throw-in before the throw-in actually begins.

The point at which A can no longer call timeout is simultaneous to the point at which the throwin count begins. If you're counting the 5 count when B is 20 feet from a legal throwin spot, you're really disadvantaging the thrower.

[Edited by Camron Rust on Nov 11th, 2004 at 03:23 PM]