View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

KWH - there is - it's only my 3rd year. It's on par with what the other 3rd year guys get. Gotta work your way up the ladder, after all (and I don't have anywhere near the experience that the guys working the truly big games have).

I do apologize for the seeming arrogance - that's really not me.

But it struck me as odd that one post asked why Texas football got so much attention, and then dismissed the large attendance at those games, stating that games in their area would draw more if there were less than 10 games.

Texas football gets more attention partly because of that very thing - despite the fact that there are 70 someodd games in my area, most of them will draw over 10K (obviously not my $54 game - I swear there were more people there actually involved in the game than there were fans!). But also because we play by the same rules that the generic football fans are used to seeing. I'm sure that there are a number of viewers who, having watched a FED game on TV, would be left scratching their heads at some of the rules. (Thanks Jason - had forgotten about OPI - very odd that if a player gets hit by a pass in the back, he can be guilty of a 15-yard penalty. Seems to me 15 yarders should be reserved for the truly egregious penalties)

PS - I lived in Cedar Rapids, IA, (went to HS there 1 year) and at the time, we were in the same district as the Quad Cities. I know from whence you speak. Seems there was maybe 7-8K fans at the Kennedy-Washington game that year, but the rest of the games I attended had far fewer.