View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Re: No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
As a timer, I understand how frustrating this can be, but lag time is the rule.

I also had a hard time understanding the difference between 5.10.1B and 5.10.1D (the play from this post). In D, the official is looking right at the clock when the whistle blows. In B, s/he looks at the clock after blowing the whistle - the NFHS uses the time taken to look up as lag time, so there is no double lag time allowance (i.e., whistle at 2.0, look at 1.0, stop at 0.0 and horn).
Good explanation, Mark. The case book refers to the period of time between the whistle being blown and the official looking at the clock as "reaction time" and assumes that one second has expired. Reaction time for the official and lag time for the timer. Therefore, the clock is reset at 3 seconds in 5.10.1b. If the official is looking directly at the clock whne the whistle sounds, he should allow one second for the clock to stop. This would apply to the original post where .8 seconds was left when the whistle blew. Game over.

I had this happen during a conference tournament semi-final this past season. Team behind by 3, hit a 2 and yelled for timeout. But I was looking at the clock when they requested TO and the clock was under one second. Time expired and the horn sounded before the clock could be stopped.

PS - An asst. for the losing time chased us as we left the floor. Too bad for him that the school system AD and a school board member were seated together near our locker room. His little stunt cost him $200 and a write-up in his personnel jacket.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith