View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 112448
let's say you are looking at the clock WHILE you are blowing your whistle to signal a time-out for Team A. The clock shows 0.8 seconds when you signal the time-out, but because of the "lag time" the clock doesn't stop until time runs out. Are you allowed to place the clock back to 0.8 seconds? According to my understanding and reading of the rule, this would not be allowed, BUT that would just not be right. I know it's my job to enforce the rules and not worry about the "fairness" of them.
What you consider fair for one team would be unfair for the opposing team. For the entire game, the clock has stopped with lag time, yet you haven't put time back on the clock. Why start now?

The case book states, "The rules do not permit the referee to make allowance for normal reaction time of the timer which results in a "lag" in stopping the clock. By interpretation, "lag or reaction" time is limited to one second when the official's signal is heard and/or seen clearly. One second or the "reaction" time is interpreted to have elapsed from the time the signal was made until the official glanced at the clock."

In your play, the game is over, and no time can be put back on the clock.

Quote:
Originally posted by devdog69
I also thought about this and it seems like in the casebook there are two cases back to back that almost seem to contradict each other as far as the rulings go. (sorry I can't be specific, i don't have it in front of me) I think I would use the "definite knowledge" guideline to have the clock reset to .8 in this situation, or at least that is what would seem to be the best way to handle it.
You can't use the definite knowledge guideline in this situation. You must allow the timer one second to stop the clock. Definite knowledge applies in situations such as 5.10.1A.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith