View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to trainerkg
I'm not sure if anyone can help me or not. I'm involved in an online game that involves a lot of sports questions. One of this week's questions involves a hypothetical call in a basketball game. Since my team knows very little about basketball, I thought I'd ask you...the experts.

Ok, here's the information I was given:

Situation 1
Sport: Basketball
Type: A competition match, but it’s mixed, plus it’s a “social” game. Very low intensity, but the two sides are trying to win.

Mid way through the first #11 Blue (6’6’’ male, 210 pounds) takes the ball in the backcourt and proceeds to start dribbling it and sprinting with it (I stress that, sprinting). #4 Red (5’ female, 130 pounds), sees an oppurtunity to pick up a charge foul and runs into the backcourt and set herself up in legal guarding position, in the path of 11 Blue.

11 Blue does not see her until the last split second. Massive contact is made and 4 Red is sent flying half way across the court. She was in legal guarding position when the severe contact was made (in the backcourt). 4 Red is unhurt but annoyed with what has occurred and proceeds to pick up the ball and throw it, using full force, into 11 Blue. Hitting him in the stomach.

11 Blue did not see 4 Red until the very last split second and could not have avoided the contact.

So what did the ref call?

The team seems divided on our options. Obviously #11 gets a charging call. But what do with little #4? Flagrant foul? Can you call a personal foul after the whistle blows for the charging call and the ball is technically no longer in play? Technical foul? Can you call her for both? And what's a "double technical" and does it apply here?

I'd appreciate any help you can give.

Kris