View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock2004

Snap rule - Section 38, Art. 2. The snap begins when the snapper first moves the ball legally other than in adjustment. In a snap, the movement must be a quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it touches an A lineman.
Hi Derock,

1st, I don't see why you are getting so stuck on the phrase 'release' the ball - your rule quote clearly stated 'leaves the hand(s) of the snapper'.
If the snapper's hand was hit and the ball leaves it... It still qualifies according to what you wrote.

Secondly, back to my question earlier that no one seems to have answered.
What if the defender pushed the snapper while snapping, and doesn't contact the ball? My example (a well timed blitz) is quite likely, and a good hit on the snapper might make him mess up the snap. So long as there was no encroachment - I think you would agree there is no problem.
Why whould it be different if the DL makes contact with the ball instead of the snapper himself?

That said, I only officiate NCAA where it is a clear dead ball foul.
2-23-f If the ball is touched by Team B during a legal snap, the ball remains dead and Team B is penalized. If the ball is touched by Team B during an illegal snap, the ball remains dead and Team A is penalized (A.R. 7- 1-5-I-II).

James