View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Bizarre play today in junior high game. Besides the 80-yard field mentioned in the other thread.

Team A driving towards the goal. They throw a pass to the goal line. A2 is already on his knees at the goal line, with his actual kneecaps in the field of play (not behind the goal line) when he catches the ball.

Player's down right when he establishes possession, right? Ball never broke the plane (that I could see, the play was about 20 yards long and I couldn't get to the goal line in a 2-man game to see).

At first I thought touchdown (I'm a rookie - shoot me) because, quite frankly, I wasn't prepared for that to happen. Referee says no, we're going from right there, a few inches away. Completion, first down and goal, right there (and for good measure, since we had that sloping upward end zone, we moved it out just outside the ten and pretended the 10 was the goal line just for that series). A scored anyway.

But if I ever see that again (God, I hope not), somebody hit me with a ruling so I can look all worldly and wise and stuff.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.