View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Gre144

I understand that there were some controversial calls in the 7 game playoff series between NY and Red Sox. Would someone like to go over all the controversial calls and explain what you would have called if you were officiating.

One play that I saw was a check swing. The batter turned his whole body around but he didn't appear to have swung the bat. Umpire at third said no swing however everyone else from their reaction seemed to have felt it was a swin.

Thanks,

Greg, the Calls were not controversal in fact they were no brainer calls. The discussions have centered around Umpires huddling ala Football officials and changing calls.

There is a contrast in the way the game is umpired compared to say 10 to 15 yrs. ago where the emphasis is on getting the calls right and forget about your ego.

We at least I am not used to seeing Umpires huddling (except to discuss a rule interp) and changing calls.

Don't know if this would have had an impact, but let's take the Reggie Jackson play of yrs. past. If the game was umpired using today's philosophy perhaps (Obviously, We will never know), that call might have changed.

Same on the infamous play at first base in the KC / Cards series yrs. back.

Therefore, in a nutshell (just read through the various threads), the discussions have centered around a change in umpire protocol not about Controversial calls.

Pete Booth