View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by copeaus
there are numerous instances when MLB runners are coming into home plate where the "chuck" of their arms go straight out toward the glove of the catcher (as opposed to burying their shoulder into the shoulder/body of the catcher).

In the instances where it is a chuck at the catcher's glove I have never seen an MLB umpire call the runner out for Intentional Interference at the plate and send all other runners back.

I know what you are talking about, but in all the instances I have seen it happen in, the runner is coming home, he lowers his shoulders and arms to run into the catcher, but the catcher slides to the side, to avoid the collision and then sticks his glove out to make the tag. This makes it look as if the runner is swiping at the ball and glove when it is simple the catcher trying to avoid the collision. And I've never seen a player at the plate swipe at the glove, if the catcher sticks it out there they just run right through it, that is not the same as taking your hands and arms and swinging at the glove.

[Edited by gsf23 on Oct 20th, 2004 at 04:53 PM]