View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrye22
Quote:
Originally posted by wolfpup27
I beg to differ with you, "dropping an f-bomb" as you put it, is unsportsmanlike conduct, is it not? Is that not a penalty? I know in our league, and even in our state, such obscenities will be flagged because we have a mandated sportsmanship policy. To answer your question, yes, I would bench him, and I have even suspended a player for his actions, even removed him from the team. I know and understand these players way better than any official does on the field, because I work with them everyday. In this particular case, if that player was mine, and you had not ejected him, he would be buffing the pines, because I don't tolerate that type of behavior. I am sorry that there are not more coaches that have that philosophy. You had the opportunity to quell the storm by flagging it earlier, but you chose not to, until a player got up in your face and made it personal. You were both wrong, and until we come to that realization, I suspect that there will be continued ejections along this line because no one is teaching both the players and the adults; coaches and officials included.
Of course it does depend on the mentality of the people around you. I have read about the refs in Texas letting a lot more slide than in other areas. Where I am (Germany), we let swearing go if it is directed 'inwardly' - cursing at a missed tackle. If it is directed at someone else it should be flagged -I don't like it like that, but they also tell me to hold my flag on celebrating as well (sigh)...

As an example that speaks to talking back to the ref (Rich I believe).
I had a kid doing a bunch of general trash talking, and he got a serious warning from me to settle down, then later in the period their defense muffed a punt and it was recovered by the offense. I was covering and signalled the direction. He looked right at me and gave me the German equivalant of 'Kiss my hairy butt old man'. My flag came out for the UC - but the white hat (I don't know him we were doing a tournament with mixed crews) said not just 15, the kid is DQ'ed. I was surprised, but the team really settled down afterwards.

James [/B]
I agree with all of your stories, and we all have different reference points. In Washington there is zero tolerance in all sports. This past spring one of our high school players slid into home and was tagged hard in the face with the catcher's mit, split his lip. Upon being tagged he said in a low voice (no one in the dugout or stands heard it), "What the hell?" He was immediately ejected. The manager went ballistic, asking the ump how he could apply such a double standard, as this ump talks to the players at bat, saying things like, "STRIKE... c'mon kid, swing that chicken sh** bat!" The ump threw the manager and cleared the stands that had erupted. Our team refused to come out of the dugout and the game was forfeited, not prior to stating that the game was under protest. Of course, the league would not hear the protest because the judgement of the umpire was above appeal, and the player & coach sat out for their ejections. BUT, most importantly of all, the umpire was reprimanded and suspended for the remainder of the season for his conduct. All participants need to be accountable for their actions, and justification for calls, or non-calls, need to be above reproach. Sound judgment is paramount to respect; lack of respect usually comes from bad judgment. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and sometimes it is hard to see the inner beauty that someone has until they do something outwardly to show their true character.