Thread: coin toss
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: Overtime coin toss signals

Quote:
Originally posted by KWH
Since we are on the subject, I am trying to determine a signal for when faced with an overtime coin toss the winning captain chooses defense!!!
Restated, when faced with an overtime situation it is clear that the winner of the toss may choose offense, defense, or choose which goal the series will be played at.
1) My best guess the signal for choosing a goal is the same method as described above.
2) I was told or read somewhere the signal for choosing offense is to place a ball to the players chest and then signal first down.
3) However, the most common option of the winning captain in overtime is to choose defense. Whats the signal???
Can anybody direct me to where the proper overtime signals are listed???
[/B][/QUOTE]

KWH,

Here's the best description I've been able to find. This comes from page 114 of the 2004 CCA 7 man Football Officiating Manual in the "Extra Periods" section:

" The referee indicates the toss winner by placing his hand on the shoulder of the appropriate captain. The options (offense, defense or end of field) are explained to and obtained from the winning captain. The remaining option is given to the captain of the team losing the toss.
Once the choices are determined, the referee instructs the captain of the team starting on offense to face the opponent's goalline. The other captain faces his opponent's goalline. The referee gives a first down signal in the direction the offensive team will be advancing."

This seems workable to me.