View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 01, 2001, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Oh, dear. Now I'm back to being confused about interrupted dribbles and fumbles. If it bounces off his leg, and then he re-dribbles, isn't that double dribble, or travel?
No, it's neither. Let's look at the rule.
4-15-5
An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

A1 is dribbling the ball. The ball strikes his leg or foot and momentarily gets away for him. The dribble has been interrupted. He may go after the ball and legally continue his dribble. Your 3 second count should stop or should not start.

Now, a fumble is different.
4-21
A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball unintentionally drops or slips from a player's grasp.

A1 is dribbling the ball. He picks up his dribble but fumbles the ball which momentarily gets away for him. The ball has been fumbled. By rule, your 3 second count continues. He may go after the ball and legally retrieve it but if he bats it to the floor, he's double dribbled.

Quote:
If I'm lead and the ball is a long ways away, with eight or nine players between me and the ball, what if I can't tell if it's a fumble or an interrupted dribble? Is this why our commissioner says never call 3-seconds until the person who is over limit in the key receives the ball?
Now we're talking more realistically. In either play, let's say that A2 is camped in the lane. Is there any possibility that the ball is going to be passed to him or shot? Of course not. That's why the commish says not to call 3 seconds.

And he's correct.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith