View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 12, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
A double foul causes the ball to become dead immediately, if the ball is not yet in flight. Continuous motion does not apply to double fouls only to personal or technical fouls.
6.7 Comment "Continuous motion is of significance only when there is a personal or technical foul by B after the trying or tapping motion by A1 is started and before the ball is in flight."

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 12th, 2004 at 07:09 AM]
Where does it say that continuous motion does not apply to double personal fouls? I think the situation you quote is simply to illustrate that a double personal foul is not a player control foul. Is there anywhere else this is mentioned?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
NCAA Men`s rules. While A-4`s shot attempt is in flight, B-4 and A-4 commit a double personal foul. The try is successful. How shall the game resume?
I think the situation is similar to that in the NCAA rule book:
A.R. 26. A1 shoots and while the ball is in the air, the shot-clock horn sounds to indicate
the end of the shot clock period. While the ball is in the air, the official calls a double foul
on A2 and B2. (a) The try is successful; (b) the try is unsuccessful but hits the ring/flange;
or (c) the try is unsuccessful and does not hit the ring/flange. RULING: The official shall
wait to see what happens to the try. The ball does not become dead until the try in flight
ends. In (a) the goal shall count, the alternating-possession arrow shall be used to deter-mine
which team gains possession of the ball for a throw-in nearest to the spot where the
double foul occurred. The shot clock shall be reset. In (b) the alternating-possession
arrow shall be used as in (a) and the shot clock shall be reset. In (c) the alternating-pos-session
arrow shall be used and the shot clock shall be reset even though a shot-clock
violation occurred. The double foul takes precedence and the ball shall be awarded for a
throw-in with the use of the alternating-possession arrow.