View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by biglaz
This play happened in one of my games today. I'm pretty sure of what the correct enforcement is now, but I think we screwed it up during the game
Eh, it happens. Had a very good kids' game (10-11 yr olds) yesterday morning where I just realized we botched something that was fortunately inconsequential.

I'm LJ, four-man mechanics. K's punt was high and short - coming down maybe 10 yards beyond the LOS. The R returner is nearly in position, but a K player actually steps up and tries to catch it. He muffs the ball, lots of players dive for it and I wade in to find the ball (recovered by R). I signal, and then my U, standing next to his beanbag, says "First touching spot." I look down stupidly at my own beanbag, still in my hand because I was never sure the kick ended, and say, "Thanks Gerry."

Of course, thinking about it now, I realize that what we needed there was a flag for KCI. Don't know where my brain was - my only excuse is that it all happened very fast and it was only my 2nd game at LJ (normally I'm HL).

Anyhow, mistakes will happen. You probably won't botch your scenario anymore, and I certainly will be reciting possibilities in my head on punt plays from now on.