The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 10, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

This play happened in one of my games today. I'm pretty sure of what the correct enforcement is now, but I think we screwed it up during the game

1/10 for A at the 50. A22 runs to the B5 where he fumbles. The ball rolls into B's end zone and almost comes to rest. B33 bats the ball out of the end zone to the B3 where B44 falls on the ball. Don't ask me why B33 batted the ball...lol
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:54am
Small Business Owner

Post Interesting play

Quote:
Originally posted by biglaz
This play happened in one of my games today. I'm pretty sure of what the correct enforcement is now, but I think we screwed it up during the game

1/10 for A at the 50. A22 runs to the B5 where he fumbles. The ball rolls into B's end zone and almost comes to rest. B33 bats the ball out of the end zone to the B3 where B44 falls on the ball. Don't ask me why B33 batted the ball...lol
Interesting play!
Hopefully, one of you remembered to drop a beanbag on the five yard line.
Why? Because the five yard line is the end of the run.
This play is a running play!
Why? Remember, a run ends where a runner loses possession but the related running play continues until the ball becomes dead or some player again gets possession. (See rule 10-6)
Since the play is a running play, the penalty (Illegal Bating - 15 yards) is enforced from the end of the run.
And, as the end of the run is the B5, only half the distance may be enforced.
Result of the play: 1st and goal for A on the B 2.5 yard line.

Did you enforce it correctly biglaz?
Old Mon Oct 11, 2004, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by biglaz
Eh, it happens. Had a very good kids' game (10-11 yr olds) yesterday morning where I just realized we botched something that was fortunately inconsequential.

I'm LJ, four-man mechanics. K's punt was high and short - coming down maybe 10 yards beyond the LOS. The R returner is nearly in position, but a K player actually steps up and tries to catch it. He muffs the ball, lots of players dive for it and I wade in to find the ball (recovered by R). I signal, and then my U, standing next to his beanbag, says "First touching spot." I look down stupidly at my own beanbag, still in my hand because I was never sure the kick ended, and say, "Thanks Gerry."

Of course, thinking about it now, I realize that what we needed there was a flag for KCI. Don't know where my brain was - my only excuse is that it all happened very fast and it was only my 2nd game at LJ (normally I'm HL).

Anyhow, mistakes will happen. You probably won't botch your scenario anymore, and I certainly will be reciting possibilities in my head on punt plays from now on.