View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
If you still have your 2002/03 NFHS rule book, there was a good explanation in the POE's- POE #6 to be exact/. [/B]
I define a true jump-stop as jumping off 1 foot and landing on 2. Ending a dribble with both feet off the floor and landing on 2...I really don't qualify that as a true jump-stop. Perhaps I should re-assess...however, I have not read anything here that would make me change my current definition. [/B][/QUOTE]Indy, you definitely should re-assess. Your definition of a "jump stop" is incomplete.

From the POE's in the 2002/03 NFHS rule book:

POE#6- TRAVELLING:
The travelling rule has not changed.What has changed is the common use of the jump stop as an offensive move. Officials and coaches are having difficulty determining the difference between a legal and illegal move. The key to making this determination properly is first finding the pivot foot. Then, if the player moves a foot or the feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball, a travelling violation has occurred. The limits follow:
1) A player who catches the ball with both feet on the floor may pivot, using either foot. When one foot is lifted, the other foot is the pivot foot.
2) A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:
(a)If both feet are off the floor and the player lands;
(1)Simultaneously on both feet, either foot may be the pivot.
(2)On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch is the pivot.
(3)On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
(b)If one foot is on the floor;
(1)It is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step.
2)The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case.
3) After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot;
(a)The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
(b)If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
(c)The pivot foot may not be lifted, before the ball is released, to start a dribble.
4) After coming to a stop where neither foot can be a pivot;
(a)One or both feet may be lifted, but may not be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;
(b)Neither foot may be lifted, before the ball is released to start a dribble.
5) a player holding the ball;
(a)May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot;
(b)After gaining possession while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not stand or attempt to get up.

There's a whole buncha different scenarios involved, Indy.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Oct 7th, 2004 at 12:09 PM]