View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
I define a true jump-stop as jumping off 1 foot and landing on 2. Ending a dribble with both feet off the floor and landing on 2...I really don't qualify that as a true jump-stop. Perhaps I should re-assess...however, I have not read anything here that would make me change my current definition.
While you may not think that is a jump stop, it is part of the definition. You are not alone in not understanding the term.

From the 2005 NCAA rules changes:
Quote:
Rule 4-42 (page 76)—The following definition shall be added: A jump stop is executed when a player catches the ball while moving or dribbling with…

1. one foot on the playing court, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).

2. two feet off the playing court, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands simultaneously on both feet (no pivot foot).

A jump stop may also be executed when the dribbler has one foot on the playing court, initiates a jump off that foot, ends the dribble with both feet off the playing court and lands simultaneously on both feet (either foot can be established as the pivot foot.

Rationale: Adds clarity to a commonly misunderstood term.