View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 06, 2004, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Mr. Elias,

Was the concept that difficult to comprehend? If you agree with moderators allowing some people to vent, but delete others who respond, you are probably the official that penalizes the retaliator rather than the instigator. I hate working with those guys. They miss some good games.
No, the concept is amazingly simple to comprehend. You wrote:

Quote:
My thought is that if you allow the mudslinging to begin, how do you justify stepping in and locking it down?

How exactly do you propose that the moderators of these forums prevent the mudslinging from beginning? All it takes for it to begin is some putz with a keyboard and hitting the "submit" button. Bob can't prevent that. Mick can't prevent that. Even Brad can't prevent that.

But once it starts, and it's obvious that it's going to continue, it's completely appropriate for a moderator to stop it.

Allowing it to start is irrelevant to the question of whether they should stop the mudslinging. That was my only point. Just like the cop who allows a driver to start speeding. The cop doesn't really have any control over when or whether the driver starts speeding. But once s/he sees the speeder, s/he is completely justified in issuing a ticket. Exactly the same situation. Just my $.02.