View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 29, 2001, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by DDonnelly19
To summarize, the issue is not that a runner is forced to advance, but that a runner is forced to vacate. Dennis
Dennis:

You put it very well -- but why? There is left but one blow hard -- sorry, I mean "die hard" {grin) -- who doesn't "understand" the point.

Originally, there were three: JJ, rex, and him. Now he's all alone, still attacking Warren and me, still clinging to his pathethic little group name. (It suddently occurs to me he may never have been invited to join any other group.) Likely it's never occurred to him why his "friends" haven't come to his side (rescue?) in this controversy.

For a final time, let me make clear my position on this issue of a 4th out made not on appeal:
  1. There is no provision in any rulebook for an umpire to call a fourth out EXCEPT ON APPEAL.
      Assume here that a FED umpire calls outs on his "own appeal" when he witnesses a baserunning infraction.

Like all books, the FED recognizes two infractions: advancing on the bases and not touching one [plate to second, missing first] and failing to retouch after a caught fly ball. (FED 8-2 Penalty)
  2. Recognizing a fourth out when a B-R, following a base hit, does not run out that hit is the law of the land in OBR games, according to the PBUC.
      I certainly support that ruling and urge everyone to apply it in his games -- if the need should arise.
  3. Lacking an official ruling from Hopkins, I do not believe a FED umpire shouuld apply that ruling in his games since PBUC interpretations are valid only for OBR contests.
In the ad for Wendy's, the old woman wondered: "Where's the beef?" In Jerry McGuire Cuba Gooding Jr wondered: "Where's the money?" On The Official Forum I'm wondering: "Where's the blame?" What on earth could be amiss with any of the three points I've just made?

[Edited by Carl Childress on Mar 29th, 2001 at 11:30 AM]