Thread: 10/1/04 games
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 02, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

How'd they go fellas?

We had a homecoming game, so of course that was a PITA. Two teams toward the bottom of the division, but in one of the toughest sub-regions in the state. 6-0 at half, but then the home team just took over and won 32-0. It really did seem the difference was coaching.

I had to throw SIX flags last night. SIX!!! Two against the visitors, four against the home team... Three illegal formations (at one point only 10 on the field and 5 in the backfield, wowsa!), a hold, a IBB, and an OPI. I hated it because it makes you look flag happy, but sometimes the kids just do things they shouldn't...

Did have a problem with two USC when the losing team was driving. They were at Bs 20. Penalty on B occured first. This occured after 1st and 10. Marked off 10 yards on B (1/2 distance) and they gained a first down. Then marked off 15 against A and gave them 1st and 10. We all came together to make sure we were on the same page. Try explaining to the offensive head coach (my sideline) why they're gaining a 1st down, but losing 5 yards on the field. Not easy. It was evident they didn't know the rules (suprise, suprise) as when we had illegal formation on the offense, but then DPI on them... they thought you couldn't have DPI on an illegal formation...

This play wasn't used, but the home team says it's in their playbook. They run a play purposely with 10 players and he'll gain about two yards. An 11th player will enter the huddle when the RFP is blown, and one of the players will exit as if he's a substitute, but then they'll run the "hidden man" play. Of course, they do all get within 15 yards sometime after the RFP. I didn't like it, and neither did the umpire--we insisted it was unfair tactics. Our white hat insisted the play was legal. Your thoughts?