View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 30, 2004, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lorider
rules makers had a brain fart...psk starts AT THE SNAP this year..(if the ball crosses the neutral zone)... making this a psk foul....it SHOULD start at the kick then it wouldn't be a psk foul ... if i was the coach i would have gone ballistic too..if defense recognizes it as a defensive foul and they don't kick it -- they get a free play from previous spot .if they do kick it-- it becomes psk if kick crosses
Absoultely not...the reason it was changed to start at the snap is for us mainly. The HL (watching the ball cross the NZ) isn't going to know whether a foul downfield occurred before or after the ball crossed & neither is the calling official. And, by rule, IP that occurred at the snap is a previous spot enforcement (see 10-4-2).
IP which occurs during the play (12th player runs on the field after the ball is snapped) is different.
Here's my take on a 12th R player entering during the down:
1. If he does not participate or hinder play, it is a non-player foul that is administered from the succeeding spot.
2. If he does participate, then it could be eligible for PSK if his foul is on R's side on the neutral zone and all of the other criteria is met.

Jonathan