View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
This should not be acceptable!

Originally posted by kgreen
It exceeds all bounds of what a coach can or should do.

Originally posted by eastcoastref
You don't think reaching out into the playing area and knocking the ball out of a players hands is not unacceptable conduct?

Originally posted by Nevada
interfering with the game unacceptable conduct

Originally posted by PGCougar
this kind of action by a coach on the floor is totally unacceptable
You guys are all hanging your hat on the part of the "flagrant" rule that says "unacceptable". But isn't any infraction of the rules unacceptable? We don't accept kids traveling, we don't accept kids rolling the ball away from the official. But those things aren't flagrant. The first is a simple violation. The second is a simple technical for delay.

Even more to the point, if a coach curses at you, says "Aw, that was a BS call!", that's unacceptable behavior. Are you gonna toss him for that? I sincerely hope not, at least at the HS level or above.

You guys all stopped reading the definition too soon. Yes, it says "unacceptable" behavior, but read further and it tells you what makes it flagrant: "If technical, it [the flagrant foul] involves dead-ball contact or noncontact at any time which is extreme or persistent, vulgar or abusive conduct." (4-19-4)

Can you really tell me that this coach's action was extreme, persistent, vulgar, or abusive? I don't think you can.

So my question (I'm not even trying to make a point here, I'm just asking) is, what makes this action of touching a live ball while it's being dribbled inbounds FLAGRANT? If all you can tell me is that it's unacceptable, I don't think that's good enough, personally.

Quote:
Originally posted by SamIAm
In my mind, this is very similiar to the 6th player jumping in and blocking a shot/fouling an opponent that came up previously.
I would disagree with that, Sam. In that case, the extra player interfered and prevented a legitimate attempt to win (or tie) the game by the other team. In this case, it's the losing coach who interferes. He's not changing the course of the game. He's just frustrated and does something stupid.

Quote:
Originally posted by Juulie
I'd call it "making a travesty of the game."
This is the only reply that actually addresses my question, in my opinion. If a coach touching the ball makes a travesty of the game, then I agree that action should be taken. So the question is "Is it a travesty?" I guess I could be convinced, although i'm not convinced yet. And unfortunately, if we agree that it is a travesty, then the penalty is not ejection, it's a forfeit (5-4).