View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 08:08am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
I'm speaking as a coach, not an official, but... this kind of action by a coach on the floor is totally unacceptable. The coach (term used lightly) should be tossed for doing something so stupid. Problem is, with so little time left in the game, the tossing isn't punitive enough. Anyway to carry it over to another game? This type of behavior really makes my blood boil.

The language of unacceptable applies here. While I appreciate everyone's thoroughness in this great forum, I just don't see a lot of gray or fuzziness in this case. What would you do if the coach snatched the whistle out of your mouth as you ran past him?

[Edited by PGCougar on Sep 22nd, 2004 at 07:49 AM]

OhioHSAA rules regarding ejections for unsportsmanlike conduct are as follows:

Example: A varsity coach is sitting on the bench of a freshmen game which is the first game of a freshmen, jr. varsity, varsity tripleheader.

1) The person ejected is disqualified for all competition the rest of the day. That means the varsity coach stays in the lockerroom for the rest of the freshmen game as well as all of the jr. varsity and varsity games.

2) First ejection of the season: Two game suspension at the level of the ejection with the suspension starting with the next day of competition. The varsity coach in our example is suspended from coaching freshmen, jr. varsity, and varsity games, until the freshmen team has played two games. That means if the varsity team plays four game before the freshmen plays two games, the varsity coach is out for those four varsity games.

3) Second ejection of the season, the player or coach is suspended for the rest of the season. If it is a coach that is ejected, the coach and his principal gets to have a personal face-to-face meeting with the Commissioner in his office in Columbus, and you can bet dollars to donuts that is not a automobile ride one, who is a coach, wants to have with his principal. If it is the last game of the season, the OhioHSAA determines player or coach's penalty and the penalty will be imposed during the next sport in which either participate.

So at least in Ohio, even if the ejection is late in the game, the penalties can be very severe.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio