View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Kallix:
I'm presuming you read my first post on this thread, so we'll conclude we agree about who's gone w/ how many out under FED.
And, yeah, when I finished the 2d post, I thought about having left an ambiguity or "Really?" moment in there about "intent" being required.

Mostly, I was trying to respond to JEL's assertion that IF there was "intent", a second out could happen UNDER THE CONDITIONS OF THE ORIGINAL QUESTION, and to point out that, without some intentional act by Batter, there is no INT with the thrown ball - say B stands stock still in the box & F2 doinks him w/ a lousy throw: No INT. He intentionally steps out & gets hit, possibly different story. You are, of course, correct, that AT HOME [which was, after all, the sitch inquired about], obvious intent to interfere isn't the standard, as it is for (normal) baserunners. I probably should have left that stuff out, as it really was off-topic and not well-phrased.

I am a little troubled by your statement that "Under OBR the batter is out in any circumstance and the ball is dead. Unless of course the runner attempting to advance is put out."

If the batter interferes with a play on a R coming home, less than 2 out, I am fairly certain that R, not batter, is out in all codes. [There is construction going on @ my home, & my OBR is un-findable: I'm relying on my BRD [see sect. 264, 2004 ed.]]