View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Working a Freshman game last night and had a situation with a coach come up. Wanted opinions on how to handle it.

Score is 12-8. Home team winning. Visiting team has about 38 seconds left in the game to try and score. They run a reverse with a pass and score on a long 40 yard completion to go ahead 14-12. As I am retreiving the ball, the Umpire in our 4-man crew see the QB run down to the middle of the endzone and begin a dance and he flags him for unsportsmanlike conduct. Coach of visiting team wants to know what flag is about so I tell him that I will get the information to him after the try.

Here is where I need advice

I explain to the coach that the umpire witnessed his QB dancing in the end zone and was penalized for UC. I figured he would go talk to the kid. Instead, he says, "What about when they scored and their player through it out the back of the endzone. Isn't that unsportsmanlike conduct?"

First, if it happened it wasn't seen (and we dont' think it did happen). Second, as described, the player had run through the endzone and simply dropped the ball. Nothing unsporting about that.

Honestly, I was a little suprised that he tried to turn this around on the other team that I just walked away from him. But I should have known he wasn't going to accept the explanation anyway. His body language was closed. (Arms crossed. Chin up. Narrow eyes).

my question

How do you respond when a coach tries to turn a situation around on the opposing team?

Sorry for long post.