View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 16, 2004, 09:37pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally posted by SJoldguy
NFHS Rules but NCAA and Canadian comments are more than welcome. Additionally there were comments on Jim's Test Question #1 from referees' about how to handle giving the options to the captains. I found this comments to be very enlightening. I would like to hear how referees will handle these options. I'd like to let the newer officials try the question first, then the rules gurus can jump into it.

SITUATION: A has just made a fair catch givings them 1st and 10 on the A20 yardline with 2 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. The score has A trailing by one point: A 7 and B 8.

A1 passes complete to A2 at midfield. A2 runs down the sideline to the B 2 yardline. B8 pulls A2 out of bounds on the B2 yardline by grasping and pulling A2's facemask (live ball action). After the play is over, A2 then kicks B8, then B8 punches A2 and then coach of B is unsportsmanlike to the covering official. Give the results of both accepting and declining the live ball foul(s) committed on this play. Time expired on the play.
Well, we do not have a fair catch rule, so how it's A's ball on their 20 would have to be from some other method, but the play in question could still happen.

We have a UR/Facemask by B8 (15 yards). Rough Play by A2 (25 + DQ). Rough Play by B8 (25 + DQ). B coach gets an Objectionable Conduct (10 yards).

The rough plays cancel, and the UR is applied from the end of the play. The OC is also applied at the end of the run. So we got half the distance twice, and we end up on the B 1-yard line. Accepting the UR/Facemask will result on the 1 because the OC will bring the play from the 2 to the 1. Declining the Facemask ends the game.

So, A gets an untimed down from the B 1-yard line.