View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 25, 2001, 12:50am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: I hope I do not have to say this again.

I just want to make something clear to you and others. WE ARE HAVING A DISCUSSION. HAVING A DISCUSSION DOES NOT MEAN THAT IT IS PERSONAL. IF YOU DISAGREE, IT IS OK TO DO THAT. INTELLIGENT PEOPLE (and I can only assume that you are that way) DISAGREE ALL THE TIME. IT IS NATURAL AND NOT A BAD THING. STOP LOOKING AT EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION AS A RIGHT AND A WRONG DEBATE. WHAT WORKS FOR YOU MY NOT WORK FOR ME AND WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU. IT IS PERFECTLY OK TO DISAGREE. JUST BECAUSE I DO SO DOES NOT MEAN THAT I HATE YOU OR THINK YOU ARE STUPID. IT JUST MEANS THAT YOU DISAGREE!!!!!!!!!

Now that I got that off my chest. In conclusion all that I am going to say is that it is not in our job log to "teach" while we are officiating. It has nothing to do with level at all. Of course and I think if you would actally "read" my post, you talk to kids at the lower level much more than the bigger kids, but that does not mean "teaching." If you feel that you need to say something everytime you call something, then do that. I would rather after the game is all said and done "teach" anyone that really wants to know and show interest at that point. But while I have the whistle in my mouth and the stripes on my back, I am there to officiate not teach. Just my opinion. I do not need to compare leagues or go back and forth about what leagues we both do, that is not the point. The point is that we have a job to do. And many of those leagues that you talk about do not have "real" officials in the first place. But do not think for one minute that you are not being watched and regardless of what level you are doing, parents still look for bias and will point it out when they feel necessary. I better conduct myself properly at all times, because the minute I step on the higher levels, and do the bigger kids, those parents that saw me at the lowest of levels remember that. I see myself as a role model not because I am an official, because I am a good human being. It is gravy if you look at my officiating as something to look up to, but I am going to carry myself in a way that I could be anything and kids can look at my life and have something to strive for. We are in an authority role, and if what we do is precieved as bias, whether you want to realize that or not, that is what is remembered by these kids. Coaches coach, fans cheer, and officials up hold the rules. If a kid wants to learn from my knowledge, then ask me after the game or in a setting where I am there to teach. But doing it while I am an officials is not my job. And unless you can find something that encourages what you suggest. I umpire baseball and I never tell a catcher how to catch the ball to get a strike. I officiate football and I do not tell kids how to play their positions. And I officiate basketball in it is not my job to tell them how not to travel or how not to play defense or shoot a shot. And if that is not caring for the game, I guess I do not care about the game, because last time I looked, everyone that it matters too, says that you are to "officiate, not coach."

Peace.

P.S. Just because I said "you are not going to change my mind on this" has very little to do with being close minded. I think I have officiated long enough, been taught by officials much more experinced than myself and most of all, fall back on what the NF says about our role. Do not be mad because your argument did not wash with me. I think I have that right to stand by what "I" believe, and you should do the same.

[Edited by JRutledge on Mar 25th, 2001 at 02:06 AM]