View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I hope I do not have to say this again.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
If you spend that time teaching you are going to be perceived as weak or as being biased.
Balderdash! That's ridiculous. Not in the 4th or 5th grade or so levels we have primarily been talking about.

Quote:
"I think it is the utmost of unprofessionalism if you are giving lessons to one team and not the other."

"If one team is always asking questions and I am explaining every single call or many of them, what does that look like."
Lessons? Every single call? I don't know about the other guys, but I'm not talking about giving a clinic during the game. I'm talking about a quick, "You can't dribble again after you stopped," and then getting to the sideline for a throw-in. Or, "When you set a screen, you can't be moving." And so on. Takes 3 - 5 seconds in most cases. Who cares if it's not in your "job description," as you've reiterated time and again? These little explanations are quick, easy, and show an enjoyment of the kids and a desire for them to learn the game. They don't come from being bombarded with questions, but are offered unsolicited. And they are not given to the coaches, but to the kids themselves just before the ball gets put back in play.

Rut, you must work some "tough" kids' leagues, because in my area the coaches and parents have ALWAYS appreciated the teaching aspect of my officiating. But . . . you're right, we're apparently just not going to agree on any of this. An admittedly closed mind ("You are not going to change my mind on this one.") can't be reasoned with. I have no problem if you choose not to offer a single unsolicited explanation during one of your lower level games. I do have a problem if YOU have a problem with MY choosing to do so. OK, go ahead and have the last word.

[Edited by Todd VandenAkker on Mar 24th, 2001 at 10:08 PM]