View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

My final observations on this...

Is basketball called an "Extracurricular" activity in schools? Why? Do we "teach" in schools?

extracurricular = not falling within the scope of a regular curriculum; of or relating to officially or semiofficially approved and usually organized student activities (as athletics) connected with school and usually carrying no academic credit

I recently responded to an inquiry from a local athletic director (also a certified official) in regards to the conduct of a particular fan (a parent of a player on one of this school's teams). The gist of that conversation was that the basketball court is a "classroom" and he expects it to be treated with the same respect as a classroom. He also stated that we, as officials, are role models just as his teachers.

I normally do not go out of my way to boast, but feel it is important in this case to include that he also complimented me on my knowledge of the rules, judgement, and game management; especially in the situation that he originally called about.

As has been mentioned, we all have individual styles and our interpretation of the rules is going to differ slightly. Also our views of the role of an official varies. I am willing to accept that as long as our focus is to do our best for the participants.