View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 09:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs down Re: Professional help?

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Jrut...

You may not appreciate this, but you need to learn compassion for the game. There is nothing wrong with doing a little teaching on the floor, regardless of the level. It can happen at any level. Granted, there can be a lot of teaching at the lower level, as you called it (those games which you do not work any more). There can also be teaching at the highest levels. To teach does not mean to hold a clinic. Many times a word or two of explanation can go a long way in teaching.

You say that you do not care what the coaches think or ask. Believe it or not, we (both coaches and officials) are out there for the benefit of the players. If a few seconds of your time can help that player become a better player and person, you have done more for that game than any call that you do make. If you enlighten a coach in order for him to be able to teach better, you have also accomplished a major goal.

My fellow official, you have not seen nearly as much basketball as you think you have. With only 5 years of experience, I promise you that you still have things to tackle on the floor (and off the floor) which you cannot even start to fathom.

If you learn compassion for the game itself, and do what can be done for the good of the game, everybody is the winner. Get rid of that chip on your shoulder. And yes, I have had opportunities to "teach" during games at the D1 level. It does not hurt you....and even garnishes respect from others in the game.

Good luck.....and please consider that the game is not there only for you.

I think you need to read the Coaches and Officials Code of Ethics in the NF Rulebook. You need to read it very carefully, because I have never seen the word "teach." To teach is to "give lessons," according to the dictionary. It is not my job or any officials job to give anyone a lesson. It is our job to uphold the rules and enforce them. And we must do all of this in a punctual and professional way. It is also my job to master the rules and the mechanics that are put in front of me, but the last time I checked "teaching" was not one of them.

I do not consider myself an expert or think that I am the best officials that ever lived, but I am pretty damn good and did not get where I am in officiating and in life not doing my homework and not working my butt off. And I am sorry, I think it is the upmost of unprofessionalism if you are giving lessons to one team and not the other. Because you are always going to have a team that is not going to need any lessons because their coach can do the job themselves. We are already precieved as being bias and one sided on most occasions. I go to several camps every year, come in contact with many officials every year at many levels, I have never heard any of the ones that have accomplished anything suggest what you suggest. But if that is what you feel is necessary, you do that. Me on the other hand, will never particiapate in that kind of philosophy ever in life on a basketball court or field that I might officiate. I might explain what I called and why I called it, but I am not going to set there and teach a lesson to anyone on that court while the game is going on. I am very approachable and will always answer questions, but there is a fine line in explaining and teaching. My friend you have crossed that line.

Peace.

[Edited by JRutledge on Mar 24th, 2001 at 09:01 PM]