Thread: Did he go?
View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 24, 2001, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert G
Runners on 1st & 2nd, I am PU, Bu is in C Slot.
B1 checks his swing & I ask my partner for Help "did he go"?
I caught him off guard & he did not react right away then gave the safe sign. Was I wrong for asking for his help with a right hand batter up? What if it was a lefty up?
No, Robert, you may ask for help on a half-swing any time you feel you were blocked on the play. BU must be alert to the possibility and ready to respond. It doesn't matter where BU is located, he must respond when asked.

As for the other issues raised with respect to who has the best view, among other things, I refer you to my 3-Part series at eUmpire.com entitled "Help on a Half Swing". If you have subscribed you may view it by checking the baseball archive. I'm sure you would find it helpful and very instructive on such matters.

Quote:
2- I understand the V in a 2 man crew, but with none on & f8 makes a great catch in center who's call would it be?
The currently accepted PRO mechanic is for the BU in 'A' to have the F8 coming straight in, or straight back, and moving to his left IF the BU decides to go out to make the call. If the BU comes in an pivots with the runner, the PU has this catch/no catch with no runners on base. In the event the F8 goes to his right, the PU will ALWAYS have the catch/no catch with no runners on base in the 2-man mechanics.

Quote:
3- Do you (PU) signal verbally when a infielder makes a catch at his shoe tops?
PU, if he makes that catch/no catch call, should ALWAYS "sell" the call with both a verbal call and a non-verbal catch/no catch signal. There are a few occasions when that call properly belongs to the BU, rather than the PU. On those occasions, the call must also be "sold" by the BU with both a verbal call and a non-verbal signal.

There are two purposes for making such a vociferous call. One is to give all the runners, including the batter-runner, the earliest possible opportunity to either continue or stop advancing hard, and/or return to their bases when no longer forced, and so prevent unnecessary injuries running the bases when the out has already been made or transforming easy returns into close tag plays. The second reason is to give your partner advice that another out has been made or not, and so allow him to decide whether to continue running, or return to his position, etc.

Cheers,