View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 06:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: I hope I do not have to say this again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd VandenAkker
Rut, I think you're carrying this thing much farther than anyone intended. Of COURSE we're not going to explain everything or take a lot of time doing so, thereby slowing down the game significantly. But I've seen refs do a bit of "teaching," and I've seen refs make calls where the kids stand there bewildered because they have no clue what happened. In my experience, the first types of refs are much more appreciated and have better-managed games. That doesn't mean that officials who try to keep the game moving without offering explanations are doing a "bad" job. Yet, there are plenty of little opportunities to use a teaching moment to the benefit of the player, without the game being slowed down even noticeably. I, for one, will continue to take advantage of them (but not on EVERY SINGLE call). [/B]
I think you are taking it too far yourself. It still is not in my job description to "teach." Regardless of what level, if I am asked a question I will allow anyone to approach me and ask questions. But I am not going to explain most or even many calls. That is what the coach is for. The coach has that responsibility to his or her team. If one team is always asking questions and I am explaining every single call or many of them, what does that look like. Especially if the other team does not need that teaching. You have to understand if you are always teaching, you are getting away from your first responsibility of officiating.

Look, we are not going to agree. I do all levels, in 4 sports. If you spend that time teaching you are going to be precieved as weak or as being bias. Everyone is looking at you and will treat you based on how your behavior is precieved. This is just the facts of the officiating game. After that game is over, I have no problem answering questions, especially at the lowest of levels. But even then the objective on the coaches and players are not to get your "coaching" ability, they want to tell you how wrong you are about a rule that they do not understand. And usually they do not understand because they go by what they see on TV (college and pro rules) rather than what the rules they are under.

Look, I have done Pop Warner Football, LL Baseball, 5th and 6th grade basketball. It always seems at these levels that teaching is not what the coaches and players want. They want to b***h for the most part without understanding a thing.