View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 23, 2001, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am sure that a lot of you,like me,have been watching at least some of the NCAA Div I tournament. I have seen two intentional fouls called in two different games that I questioned when called and really questioned upon instant replay. KU vs Syracuse toward end of first half, lead called foul on defender who reached around and slapped at ball of offensive player who was dribbling on breakaway - obvious play on ball, not hard and official's position was behind defensive player where he could not see the entire play although he could see the defenders player go around for the reach - foul? Yes - intentional? Highly questionable.

Very same thing happened last night in USC versus Kentucky. In the paint offensive player, with ball in hands, standing back to basket, defensive player behind him with back to basket, official directly behind defensive player. Defensive player reaches around and slaps at ball. Again official's view of total play was blocked - definitely looked like a foul - but an intentional??

Did any of you see these plays? All of you continually stress position yourself to see the entire play before making the call. I realize sometimes we have to make the call when our positions are not giving us the best view of the play - but calling intentional fouls in these situations, when you can't see the whole play, and nothing extremely hard or rough? In the NCAA tournament where the creme de la creme are supposed to be? Am I missing something here or is it judgment, judgment, judgment?