Thread: T for flopping
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 08, 2004, 08:37pm
In Memoriam

Just got my new NFHS rule book, and I see that "flopping" is now a new POE- Point of Emphasis- this year. Apparently the FED thinks that it's become a problem. The POE is as follows, and is labelled as an "Specific Unsporting Act":

"Flopping"- The defensive player or screener acting as though he or she has been charged by an opponent, when in fact he or she has not been, definitely has an impact on the game. It is detrimental to the best interests of basketball. The "actor" wants to create the false impression that he or she has been fouled in the charging/guarding situation, or while he or she is screening when in either case there is no contact or incidental contact. The "actor" fall to the court as if he or she has been knocked down by the force of the contact. Those actions are designed to have a foul charged to the opponent- a foul not deserved. The "flop" also incites spectators. The rules are in place to deal with such activity and must be enforced. A technical foul is charged to the "actor" in all case. Coaches can have a positive impact by appropriately dealing with players who fake being fouled. It is not a part of the game. Officials must penalize the act".

My advice? Handle with care!