View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 28, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
It is true that stealing signs is part of the game. But looking back at the catcher is really *not* an acceptable part of the game.

There is no explicit rule against it, however. There is a DIFFERENCE between acceptable baseball protocol and what is technically legal/illegal in accordance with the rules. The umpire should really only interject himself on the latter.

At the higher levels, the players have a way of dealing with violations of protocol. At lower levels, it is the *coach's* responsibility to deal with such matters.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
This is absurd - read your second paragraph again. You have stated several times that you have used your officiating knowledge to affect the outcome of the game. Now, we know that none of your players would ever be involved in this type of chicanery, but let's suppose that his moral base slipped and he chose to partake. Now, according to you...I must interject if I see him do this. What am I going to say? "Stop doing that or if you persist I'll eject you for unsportsmanlike conduct." What will you, as the coach do? You'll ask me to show you the rule that allows a penalty for stealing signs. Then you'll say that the catcher should hide them better.

Now, you are eloquent enough to say that I'm putting words in your mouth and argue that you would do no such thing. But we have all seen your past comments. You can't have it both ways.
I think you misunderstood what I wrote.

All I'm saying is this - there is protocol and there are rules.

The umpire should only get involved with rule issues. The players have a way of dealing with protocol issues.

Looking back at the catcher is a violation of protocol. It isn't done. Yet, it's not illegal. So the umpire should allow it.

Now, as a coach, I am certainly not going to instruct my young pitcher to put the ball in the batter's ear. I am adamantly against such practices at the youth league level. I wouldn't even allow my son to play for a coach who instructed him to throw at a batter. There are other, very simple ways to fix the problem, even if the practice of looking at the catcher's signs persists.

That's all I'm saying.

I'm not sure what your beef is.

As a coach, have I ever used my knowledge of the rules and how umpires operate to gain an advantage? Hell, yes! Do you think that is an unfair advantage? I don't see why since the opposing coaches have access to the same information. It' up to the umpires to make sure nobody gets an unfair advantage.

When I coach, I'm an advocate for my team. When I umpire, I'm advocate for the Official Baseball Rules.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

[Edited by David Emerling on Aug 28th, 2004 at 05:06 PM]