View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Gymnastics, or other "judge/jury"-sports aren't my kind of sports either. But why questioning whether these are sports? Ballroom-dancing is a sport, there are competitions and rules to determine who wins.
Just as in softball!
A couple a years ago I had a game where a coach said that my call cost him the game: I saw F5 blocking the runner, while the ball was on it's way to the homeplate during a Tie-breaker. My left arm stredged out. Runner was tagged on the plate and I gave her home... end of game.
As umpires we also have to decide Yes/No, Strike/Ball, Safe or Out. Translating the rules and what we see to a call, just like a judge/jury. They also observe and have their rules, combining it to a "call"...
Should we worry about lawsites, while making our calls? Coaches/players questioning our call or integrety are send out. I guess that also should happen in jury-sports. If they don't have ruling about it, make them... Our softball-rules change every 1, 2 or 3 years.

Then go one step further: Is Go a sport, or Chess? Rules and competition... Makes that a sport? Are they athletes? They are sitting all day long...
Is a Formel 1-driver an athlete? He's sitting on his *** also...
And think about darts. One top-player from England drinks gallons of beer during his break in a game. Is it a sport or just a "game"?

It's not me to decide! I just like to watch (ball)sports. I don't like car-racing, gymnastics, Go or chess. But to me it still is Sport!

JMHO and no offence (anybody can have his/her opinion),
Alex