View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation occur in an AAU game this Sunday and would like to get some other opinions.

Team B scored a basket to cut the lead to 63-62 and called a timeout with 18.9 seconds showing on the clock. They (obviously) set up a press coming out of the t.o. Player B1 - who was pressuring the thrower - tipped the inbounds pass and an instant later player A1 caught the ball and started dribbling. I was the new lead and when my count reached 10, the player from team A had the ball between the top of the key and half court. I blew my whistle and reported a 10-second violation on Team A.

Here's where the question comes: The clock showed 9.2 seconds remaining. Meaning from the moment the timer started the clock, only 9.7 seconds had actually run off the clock. Of course the fans were going nuts because they saw 18 and 9 (they didn't bother to look at the tenths). The coach of Team A called a time-out to discuss the situation with me and my partner.

I explained (with both coaches present) that the timer must have not started the clock EXACTLY when I chopped the clock. Meaning the timer didn't see me chop the clock when B1 tipped the ball, rather started the clock when A1 touched the ball. I explained to the coach that the failure to start the clock at the right time taken in conjunction with "reaction" time and the fact that the clock showed 9.7 seconds had expired, that the correct call was made. He still wasn't happy, but he understood.

If I had it to do over again, I would have glanced at the clock to make sure -- but given that is not always an option (clock location, etc), I was wondering what others thought.

Any thoughts? Feedback?

Thanks,
Jake

By the way, Team B scored on the possession and won the game 64-63.